Film scientist, historian and publicist, born 1.12.1937 in Kishinev (now Moldova). In 1961, graduated from the VGIK Department of Film Science, started working at the USSR State Film Foundation. In 1965, elected scientific secretary of the Sergei Eisenstein creative heritage commission, participated at the establishment of the Sergei Eisenstein commemorative room, was a curator of the funds (1967-1985). Consulted the reconstruction of Sergei Eisenstein's films Bezhin Meadow (1968, director of a photo film with Sergei Yutkevich), The General Line, The Battleship "Potemkin". One of the authors of compilation and commentaries of the six-volume publication Collected Works of Sergei Eisenstein (1964-1971), prepared Sergei Eisenstein's memoirs for publishing (1997).
Former head of the Film Propaganda Office Museum department, has been the head of the Central Film Museum. Since 1992, manager of the Moscow State Central Cinema Museum. Since 1988, delivers lectures in world cinema history at the Higher Course of Scriptwiriting and Directing. Has been a lecturer on Sergei Eisenstein's creative work at the New York University (1990-1991) and at the German Film and Television Academy, Berlin (1994, 1998). Has delivered lectures in film history in Europe, Asia, the USA. In the period 1993-1997, made TV programs on Film Museum, silent cinema, etc.
FIPRESCI laureate for creating the retrospective The Unknown Soviet Cinema at the Moscow IFF (1987). In 1993, elected a member of the European Film Academy, received the Felix Award for his professional activity, several international awards for contribution to film art. in France, received the order L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (1992). Has been the member of jury at the Venice, Berlin, Leipzig, Toronto, Locarno, a.o. international film festivals. Member of the Arsenāls IFF organizing committee (1986-1988), selection committee (1990-1992, 1996-2004).